2020 has been unlike any other thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, our strange stock market, and social unrest leading up to the Nov. 3rd Presidential Election. This timeline recap is for you to see what we have already been through as we look toward a brighter future as we assess what we have learned from this year:
- 6- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issues travel warning for Americans visiting China.
- 20- The first case of COVID-19 in the U.S.
- 22- The entire city of Wuhan, China, is quarantined.
- 30- The World Health Organization (WHO) declares COVID-19 a Worldwide Public Health Emergency
- 24- The Dow Jones drops 1,000 points.
- 27- The First school closure occurs in Washington state for two days due to COVID-19
- 29- The First recorded COVID-19 death in the U.S. (earlier deaths were later reported)
- 9- The Dow Jones plunges 2,000 points. Italy enters nationwide quarantine.
- 11- The WHO declares COVID-19 a pandemic.
- 12- The Dow Jones plunges more than 2,300 points. Major league sports announce cancellations and suspensions of trainings and games.
- 13- President Donald Trump declares COVID-19 a national emergency in the U.S.
- 16- 27 U.S. states close schools. The Dow Jones Industrial Average falls by 2,997.10, the largest single-day point drop ever.
- 20- The worldwide COVID-19 death toll passes 10,000. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo issues stay-at-home order as New York cases surpass 7,000.
- 21- The deadline for filing 2019 taxes extends to July 15, 2020.
- 27- The U.S. House and Senate pass the CARES Act to provide economic assistance to Americans.
- 2- Worldwide COVID-19 cases pass 1 million. More than 6.6 million U.S. workers file for unemployment
- 9- Worldwide COVID-19 deaths reach 100,000
- 10- The U.S. becomes the first country to report 2,000 COVID-19 deaths in a single day.
- 13- The IRS begins sending stimulus checks to Americans.
- 14- President Donald Trump halts funding for WHO.
- 6- Most schools in the U.S. close for the academic year, and distance learning begins.
- 8- U.S. unemployment hits 14.7%.
- 27- The U.S. passes 100,000 COVID-19 deaths.
- 31- George Floyd dies while in police custody in Minneapolis, MN, sparking worldwide protests and civil unrest.
- 10- The U.S. becomes the first country to reach 2 million COVID-19 cases.
- 28- COVID-19 cases pass 10 million worldwide.
- 29- The Dow Jones Industrial Average rises 580.25 points or 2.3%.
- 3- Major League Baseball cancels the 2020 All-Star game.
- 15- 2019 taxes are due for filing.
- 23- California surpasses New York in the most COVID-19 cases.
- 31- The S&P 500 gains 5.5%, now up 1.25% on the year.
- 8- The number of COVID-19 cases in the U.S. reaches 5 million.
- 15- As schools begin the 2020/2021 school year, the number of COVID-19 cases among children in the U.S. increases by 90%.
- 31- The Dow Jones gained 7.57%, its best August performance since 1984 when it gained 9.78%
- 2- Total COVID-19 cases in the U.S. reach 6 million.
- 10- Worldwide COVID-19 deaths top 900,000.
- 21- The U.S. COVID-19 Death toll passes 200,000.
- 30- The Down Jones ends September with a decline of 2.3%, the S&P 500 drops by 3.9%, and the NASDAQ declines 5.2%
- 2- U.S. President Donald Trump, First Lady Melania Trump, and several White House staff members test positive for COVID-19.
- 17- The CDC reports over 217,000 deaths from COVID-19. and total cases reach 8 million in the U.S.
- 18- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi sets Oct. 20 deadline for reaching an economic stimulus deal that would provide each American a $1,200 stimulus check.
Disclosure: For financial professional use only. Not for use with the general public. This newsletter is not endorsed or approved by any other Government Agency. The sources used to prepare this material are believed to be true, accurate and reliable, but are not guaranteed. SWG1374389-1020b
In addition, JP Williams is the Founder of Pillar Wealth Group who lives and works near Columbus, Ohio. JP founded Pillar Wealth Group with over 17 years of experience and specializes in financial planning, retirement planning, investment management, risk management, college planning, and estate planning. Contact us today to get started with your financial wellness journey. Contact us today to schedule an introductory meeting!